When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, my doctor gave me insulin doses that I followed to the exact unit they were prescribed. I went extremely low every day before lunch, but did nothing to change any dosing. A year later when I moved on to pumping insulin, I trusted the same doctor to set my basal and bolus rates. Now this doctor was very good, my settings were mostly correct. I had very healthy A1c results.
Then I found the diabetes online community. It seemed like everyone was reading Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner and Pumping Insulin by John Walsh. Both books contained tips and tricks of better managing the powerful hormone of insulin.
I spent some time reviewing my settings and my lifestyle and changes to improve my diabetes management. I love math, so it absolutely helped me to think of my body as a giant math problem that I could solve.
The one trouble spot that remained for me, and I strongly believe continues to be a trouble spot for many people in the diabetes community is EXERCISE.
I want to exercise but I can give you every excuse about why I don’t.
I don’t have time.
I’m too tired.
My blood sugar drops every time I exercise so there’s no point.
My blood sugar rises every time I exercise so there’s no point.
You name it. I’ve said it.
That is changing now. I just finished the book that WILL take my diabetes management to the next level. Not only am I math problem, but now I am also a Science Experiment.
Ginger Vieira is a Health Coach & Diabetes Advocate and author of the book “Your Diabetes Science Experiment”. She is also probably the best vlogger in the diabetes community. I wanted to write a review of her book in such a way to convince you all to go out and get a copy of your own. Which, by the way, you CAN by clicking HERE!
First I thought that instead of summarizing her book, I should ask her some questions to highlight some of the best parts of the book. But why would you ask a vlogger to type out their answers when they can video them instead? You wouldn’t ask a painter to describe a landscape, you would hand them a brush and let them paint.
So here you go! Let’s watch Ginger paint!
I split the vlog into two parts to make it a bit easier to watch. In the first part she answers some of my more general questions such as –
- Who should read your book?
- How in the world is my body like a pizza delivery restaurant?
- High and low blood sugar results. Good? Bad? Just information?
- What does “Learn first. Act second” mean?
- What is the most important characteristic for someone living with diabetes?
- Eating before exercise – self-defeating or self-sustaining?
- Why is circuit training a good workout for someone with diabetes?
- WiiFit. Workout or glorified video game?
- What should a person with an insulin pump do while they are working out? Disconnect? Temp basal? None of the above?
- How do I stop my bad diabetes habits?